First Church was gathered on December 16, 1685 as The Church of Christ in Dunstable. On the same day Thomas Weld was ordained and settled as minister of the church. The current building, built in 1894, is the tenth building to house the First Church Community. In 1961, the church entered fellowship with the United Church of Christ.
Situated on the site of the Indian Head Coffee House, which was the “social center of this part of the state” during the last half of the nineteenth century, the current structure was built in 1893 and dedicated on May 17, 1894. An impressive building, with a commanding position at the top of Main Street, the building is constructed of granite from the Marlboro, New Hampshire quarries. The architecture is of the Romanesque style. The tower rises to a height of 118 feet and houses the chime of 15 bells which were exhibited at the Chicago World’s Columbian Exposition in 1893 and then purchased and given to First Church by Miss Mary P. Nutt.
The sanctuary was built to seat over 600 people, with additional seating in Chapel Hall.
In 1954 Nauss Hall, named in honor of former pastor Rev. Earl F. Nauss, was built and connected to the main building by an enclosed cloister. This building housed classrooms and administrative offices.
In 1994 the annex building was completely rebuilt, a second floor added, and a new link constructed. The Walker Building, named in honor of Rev. Dr. Paul R. Walker, pastor from 1947 – 1974, contains 15 classrooms, administrative offices, Nauss Hall, the Gail A. Linck Memorial Library, and the Shaw Chapel.